The English. Nothing ever changes with them. First, King George III tells us to buy some stamps, then Margaret Thatcher tells us what we must dedicate ourselves to, then that little gecko tells us what car insurance we have to buy. Well, I’ve had enough! So for the 4th of July, we wanted to make a meal that would really stick it to the English.
What do English people hate? Cherries, I would imagine, as they are sweet reminders of how we really got over on them on the border between Washington and British Columbia. Also, burgers because it probably really sticks in their craws how they got us started but then all our favorite food is from Germany (and Italy and Mexico. Also sushi.).
So, we made cherry burgers. For people who are concerned about such things, making burgers with cherries supposedly makes them less carcinogenic. But those people are boring. The real reason to make cherry burgers is that they taste good.
– 1 lb. ground beef
– 1 cup chopped cherries (sour if you’ve got them, sweet if you don’t)
– 1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
– half of one red onion, diced
– salt and pepper to taste
– Get the grill started, let it get nice and hot.
– Mix all the ingredients in a bowl. Really knead them together.
– Form the meat into four patties.
– Grill the patties for 4-5 minutes on each side.
– Serve on buns with mayo, lettuce and sliced tomato.