Summer obsessives hold on to the season until the equinox makes things official in late September. For others, it’s the end of Labor Day weekend that signals summer’s end (it falls especially late this year). I’m a weather nerd, and as such, tend to adhere to the meteorological calendar in which the seasons change with the weather – meteorological fall ticks over on September 1.
No matter how you keep score, the end of summer is just weeks away and we really ought to make the most of it, cocktail-wise especially. This Bloody Maria cocktail recipe takes care of the main thing that stands between me and a more regular Bloody Maria habit – a lack of tomato juice. In this recipe, fresh tomatoes (peels and all) are blended with good things like onions, garlic, jalapeño, and parsley. After a thorough chill in the fridge, you’ll want to add plenty of freshly squeezed lime, tons of horseradish, and as much Tabasco as you dare. If you’d like a full-on pitcher of Bloody Marias, go ahead and add the tequila too.
Since the main components of the cocktail are so easy to pull together, I thought I’d keep the garnishes simple as well – just a few chives and a slice of lime. Just like that – spicy summer refreshment (plus real vegetables!).
- 5 cups chopped, cored tomatoes
- 1/2 a red onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 jalapeño, cored, seeded, and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley leaves
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seed
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lime juice
- 3 tablespoons prepared horseradish* or to taste
- 2 - 3 teaspoons Tabasco sauce, or to taste
- 4 - 6 ounces tequila
- Chives and sliced limes for garnish
- *Horseradish can vary wildly, so taste before adding and keep in mind that the heat often intensifies after a few hours.
- Combine tomatoes, onion, jalapeños, garlic, and parsley in the pitcher of your blender and blend until very smooth. If desired, strain mixture with a fine mesh sieve. Stir in about a 1/2 teaspoon sea salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, and celery seed. Set in fridge to chill for at least an hour.
- Stir in lime juice, horseradish, and Tabasco to the tomato mixture. Taste and adjust seasoning or acid levels as needed.
- Mix up a 1/2 teaspoon each sea salt and black pepper on a plate. Swipe the rim of a highball or Collins glass with a lime wedge and dip in salt and pepper mixture. Carefully fill glasses with ice, pour in Bloody Maria mix, and top off with 1 - 1 1/2 ounces tequila. Give everything a quick stir. Garnish with chives and a slice of lime. Serve immediately.
Still thirsty? Besides these Bloody Marias, there’s a whole blogger cocktail party happening right now. For more fresh, summery refreshment, check out #drinkthesummer on Instagram, and these amazing recipes from around the web. Sending out a big, giant thanks to the Drink the Summer visionaries: Sherrie and Renee! Cheers, everyone.
With Food + Love // Fresh Heirloom Bloody Marys with Old Bay and Spicy Pickles
Will Frolic for Food // The Sugar Hollow: Watermelon Gin Cocktail with Cardamom and Lime
Kale & Caramel // Sweet Coconut, Hibiscus & Lime Slushie
Hummingbird High // Thyme Lemonade
Cake Over Steak // Blackberry Bourbon Cocktail
Loves Food, Loves to Eat // Coconut Nectarine White Wine Spritzers
Dunk & Crumble // Ginger Peach Whiskey Smash
Tasty Yummies // When Figs Fly: Spiced Rum Fig Kombucha Cocktail
Feed Me Phoebe // Pimm’s Cup Cocktail with Fresh Ginger, Lime and Tarragon
Earthy Feast // Strawberry, Basil and Pink Peppercorn Negroni
Ginger & Toasted Sesame // Blackberry Peach Margarita with Spicy Salt
O&O Eats // The Long Hope: a Honeydew Cucumber Gin Cocktail
my name is yeh // Nutella Egg Cream
Faring Well // Sparkling Melon Coolers with Muddled Raspberries and Mint
Beard and Bonnet // Pineapple and Cilantro Moscow Mule
The Pancake Princess // Strawberry Balsamic Shrubs
Edible Perspective // Rosé Slushies
Vegetarian ‘Ventures // Sparkling Peppered Plum Blush
The Broken Bread // Blackberry, Cucumber and Mint Gin Spritzer
Tending the Table // Plum Spritzer with Ginger and Kafir Lime
Appeasing a Food Geek // Sugar Plum Margarita
She Eats // Fizzy Lime and Blackberry Shrub
holly & flora // Pimm’s Cup with Blackberry and Lemon Zest Shrub
Vigor and Sage // Peachy Tomato Basil Gin and Tonic
The Pig & Quill // Raspberry Basil Gingerade Fizz
Hungry Girl por Vida // Peanut Butter and Berry Smoothie
A Brown Table // Fig and Bourbon Summer Smash
The Clever Carrot // 5 Minute White Peach Margaritas
Cookie and Kate // Watermelon White Sangria
le jus d’orange // Peach Yogurt Soju and Ginger Plum Kombucha Cocktail
Chocolate + Marrow // Raspberry Thyme Smash
The Bojon Gourmet // Basil Pluot Pimm’s Cup
Snixy Kitchen // Sparkling Asian Pear and Mint Iced Tea
what’s cooking good looking // Watermelon Basil Colada
i am a food blog // Thyme Gin and Tonics
Fix Feast Flair // Berry Peachy Kentucky Mules
Salt & Wind // Watermelon Aperol Spritzes