One of the avocado’s many alternate names is “butter fruit” and I think that’s a nice way to think of it––as a way to bring a buttery richness to a dish while still keeping it light and healthy. This avocado and spinach salad was my Friday lunch and I loved how the greens and avocado worked with a slightly spicy chili lime vinaigrette and salty toasted pepitas. Such a great combination, and a nice change of pace as the winter wears on. Head over to Babble for the recipe.
I’m a little late getting our weekend links up this weekend, but I have an excellent excuse––Brian and I are in the midst of a kid-free weekend. If you don’t have kids, that’s what every weekend is like, but if you do, you know that kid-free weekends are the best thing ever. Below, you’ll find a round-up of our weekend links as well as some of our work from around the web.
1. I’m totally making this cod with turmeric coconut sauce ASAP
2. Uncovering a 2,000 year-old village in downtown Miami
3. The highs and lows of contemporary parenting––an interview with Jennifer Senior, author of All Joy and No Fun: The Paradox of Modern Parenthood (I really want to read this book, too)
4. Slate gets it wrong on pesticides (another #slatepitch gone wrong)
5. A closer look at African American foodways––this site and this conversation
And from us:
1. Winter vegetable sides that take 20 minutes to make
2. Chocolate-free Valentine’s dessert ideas
3. Chocolate cherry smoothies
4. Fresh takes on the frittata
5. Romantic dinners anyone can cook
6. Chocolate isn’t really my thing. But chocolate cake? Yes, please.
7. Mac and cheese forever
8. I think you need some cheesecake. Amiright?