Savory vegan mushroom and kale tacos with shallot, poblano pepper, and lime. Jump to recipe.
I like settling into a new season. Windows open, eating an apple – that kind of thing. We’re in week 20 of our amazing CSA and summer vegetables are quickly winding down. I’ll miss the dizzying bounty for sure, but I’m also looking forward to craftier cooking and making delicious meals out of all the ingredients I forgot existed while I was dazzled by all those technicolor tomatoes.
This kale and mushroom taco recipe plays up early fall’s quieter flavors – kale cooked up with lots of hardneck garlic and seared mushrooms tossed with crispy shallots and smoky poblano. It all makes for a simple yet supremely satisfying taco that’s at home with summer or fall vibes.
These tacos are also celebratory. The talented blogger behind Dolly and Oatmeal and author of Chickpea Flour Does It All, Lindsey Love, is expecting a brand new baby any day now and we’re throwing her a surprise baby shower! Lindsey, I wish you all the best as you make your way into this wonderful, hard, completely amazing parenthood thing. It’s pretty crazy and you’re going to need a lot of tacos.
Check out all the great things everyone cooked up to celebrate:
Sweet Potato Millet Pancakes | The Full Helping
Mushroom and Kale Tacos | Brooklyn Supper
Butternut Squash French Toast | Edible Perspective
Chocolate Chip Ice Cream Sandwiches with Honey Olive Oil Ice Cream | Cake Over Steak
Roasted Green Tomato Soup with Herbed Oil | With Food + Love
Tart Cherry, Chocolate & Hempseed No-Bake Oat Bars | Kale & Caramel
Dark Chocolate Hummus | A Couple Cooks
Maitake Steaks with Cauliflower Purée | O&O Eats
Cucumber & Chamoe Melon Salad | Two Red Bowls
Strawberry Rhubarb Jam | The Sugar Hit
Miso Edamame Hummus with Baked Furikake Sweet Potato Chips | Fix Feast Flair
Mini Hazelnut Cakes | I am a Food Blog
The Magic of a Mandolin: Vegetable Carpaccio | Eat Boutique
Almond Chia Pudding with Roasted Grapes | Tending the Table
Peanut Butter and Dark Chocolate Puffed Millet Bars | Heart of a Baker
Savory mushroom and kale tacos with shallot, poblano pepper, and lime.
- 1 cup white or brown rice, cooked
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- sea salt
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, brushed clean with stems removed, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 - 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced
- 1 poblano pepper reserve a few slices for garnish, trimmed, seeded, and chopped
- 1 bunch Red Russian or Lacinato kale (about 3/4 pound), stems trimmed and rough chopped
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1 lime, sliced
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- Cook rice according to package instructions or desired ratio.
- Set a large skillet over medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil and then the shallots. Sprinkle with sea salt. Nudging often, cook until shallots are golden with just-crispy edges, about 10 minutes. Lower heat if needed. Remove cooked shallots from pan and set aside.
- In the same pan, over medium heat, add 1 teaspoon olive oil, and then the poblano. Cook 1 minute; remove to a small bowl.
- Working in batches, add a teaspoon olive oil and arrange a handful of mushroom slices in hot pan. Sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt. Cook until mushroom release their water and edges darken, 3 - 4 minutes per side. Remove cooked mushrooms to a plate. Repeat until mushrooms are all cooked, then turn off heat, and toss cooked mushrooms, poblano, and shallot together in the pan. Add a splash of sherry vinegar and more sea salt to taste.
- Meanwhile, in a deep sided skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic, cook 1 minute, and then add kale, a handful at a time. Sprinkle with sea salt. Stirring often, cook until kale has cooked down, 5 - 7 minutes.
- In a small skillet, heat corn tortillas until fragrant and pliable.
- To assemble tacos, layer rice, kale, and mushrooms in each tortilla. Garnish with thinly sliced poblano and green onion. Serve with a lime wedge.