A meal-worthy vegan vegetable pasta soup with a little bit of everything: delicious vegetable broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, kale, carrots, thyme and toothsome pasta, created in partnership with Imagine®.
This late in the season, I’d given up on snow. I watched sadly all winter as storm after storm passed by either to the south or the north. Never here. But last week, things changed. A surprise late March snowstorm dropped 5 inches on Charlottesville and I finally got the winter weather I’d been hoping for.
In the afternoon, my 10 year-old daughter and I headed out for a walk along the snowy river. We take a lot of these walks lately, just me and her, talking about what’s happening in her world and stopping to notice the changing natural one. Just a day later, the snow was almost all gone, making me especially glad to have had that afternoon by her side.
Long walks and chilly (or snowy) weather call for a hearty, warming dinner. Often, vegetable soup takes a back seat to showier, meatier bowls, but today I’ve got a delicious vegan creation that holds its own. Brimming with vegetables, a few handfuls of campanelle pasta and fresh thyme, this tomato-based vegetable based soup is a simple knockout that’s perfect for weeknights.
Great ingredients are essential for a flavorful vegan soup, and I crafted this one with carefully sautéed onions, celery, carrots, garlic, canned fire-roasted tomatoes and Imagine® Organic Vegetable Broth. I love Imagine® broths for their quality ingredients and homemade taste, and the vegetable broth is no exception. A simple list of wholesome organic vegetables makes this broth both richly flavored and delicate enough to highlight subtle flavors.
This vegetable pasta soup cooks up quickly and makes for a simple one-bowl weeknight meal. I love the way the pasta is imbued with the flavorful broth (not to mention the ease of one pot cooking), but if you’re planning on leftovers, you may want to cook the pasta separately so it’s not soggy the second time around.
A meal-worthy vegan vegetable pasta soup with a little bit of everything: delicious vegetable broth, fire-roasted tomatoes, kale, carrots, thyme and toothsome campanelle pasta.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium red onion diced
- 4 celery ribs diced
- 3 carrots diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed, peeled, and minced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can crushed tomatoes (I prefer fire-roasted)
- 1 quart Imagine® Organic Vegetable Broth
- 1 - 2 cups water, as needed
- 1 bunch lacinato kale, stems removed and chopped
- 6 ounces campanelle pasta or other large pasta
- 2 tablespoons thyme leaves, plus more for garnish
- Heat oil in a large 3-quart dutch oven or soup pot oven medium heat. Add the onion, celery, carrots, garlic, spices, and sea salt, and sauté until tender, 7 - 10 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste and crushed tomatoes, then add broth and 1 cup water. Bring mixture to a gentle boil. Add kale, pasta, and thyme leaves; stirring frequently (the pasta tends to stick to the bottom of the pan), cook until pasta is al dente. If needed, as pasta cooks, add up to 1 more cup water in ¼ cup increments to keep things soupy.
- Ladle into bowls, garnish with thyme, and serve immediately.
- Leftovers can be reheated over medium-low heat on the stovetop. Add a splash of water or broth as needed.