A weekly produce guide to what’s in season at farmers’ markets and in CSA shares in the Mid-Atlantic region (and lots of other places). Your mid-July summer produce guide features cucumbers, green beans, hot peppers, and the first really great slicing tomatoes of the season.
This week, all the summer greats showed up. At long last, my countertop is covered with tomatoes in varying stages of ripeness. There are also cucumbers, green beans, and tons of hot peppers. Check out green bean recipes in the June guide. Head below for for your mid-July summer produce guide with hot pepper recipes and ideas for making the most of the first really great tomatoes of the season.
Things in the garden are really picking up, even edging toward overwhelming. I’m hoping to get thing under control this weekend, and cooking plans include making quick-pickled cukes, fresh tomato sauce for freezing, and pickled jalapeños.
Cucumbers (Peak Summer Edition)
- Cucumber-Tomato Salad with Feta and Herbs
- Cucumber-Watermelon Salad with Chipotle and Sumac
- Cucumber Soba Noodles
Jalapeños and Other Hot Peppers
- Mushroom and Kale Tacos with Jalapeños
- Chicken Pozole Verde
- Vegan Tortilla Soup
- Brothy Pinto Beans with Roasted Poblanos
- Poached Eggs and Skillet Toast with Fennel-Jalapeño Salad
- Jalapeño Pimento Cheese
- Nectarine and Cucumber Salad with Jalapeños